Driver narrowly misses train during police chase
A TRAIN was just seconds away from crashing into a stolen car which was being chased by police over a level crossing.
Officers were in pursuit of the red Mercedes Kompressor coupe after it was taken from outside a property in Grounds Avenue, March on Saturday (June 19) night.
Police tracked the vehicle in Peterborough on Sunday (June 20) but chased it through the city and along the A605 after it failed to stop.
The getaway driver drove through the barriers at the Kings Delph railway crossing at 2.45pm, just nine seconds before the train was due to arrive.
The driver got away but the Mercedes was later found at Woolpack Lane car park in Whittlesey. The train collided with barrier debris just moments after the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Chris O’Brien said no was injured in the collision but added: “It could have been a different story.”
Making an appeal to residents for information, he said: “It is vital we trace the man responsible and any information, no matter how small, could lead us to him.”
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 4 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 5 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 6 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 9 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 10 Drink-driver blows over four times legal limit after ‘booze and cruise’
Anyone with information should call DS O’Brien on 0345 456 4564.