Driver prepares to tell bosses the hole truth after his cement lorry crashes through Wisbech manhole
- Credit: Archant
A lorry delivering cement to a Wisbech building site came unstuck today after it mounted a pavement and suddenly a front wheel crashed through a GPO manhole cover.
The driver, who asked not to be named, discovered getting the lorry out was harder than he first imagined.
Expecting to manoeuvre the lorry out of the hole once he unloaded, he found it tough going and remained there for several hours until help arrived and worked out the best way to free his vehicle.
Cement has been arriving all week at the building site in Norwich Road where an old folk’s home is being extended.
“Someone told me to ease forward onto the pavement to get the lorry off the road,” he said. “Apparently drivers have been doing it all the time and I thought it was safe.”
You may also want to watch:
To spare embarrassment to the driver we blanked out the lorry’s company logo and the number plate.
That won’t, of course, ease his explanation to bosses who will, no doubt, want the truth, the hole truth and nothing but the truth about the day’s events!
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas