March is filled with seasonal cheer to kick off the official Christmas lights switch on
- Credit: Archant
March sparkled as a packed town centre chanted the count down to the grand switching on of this year’s festive lights display.
Crowds of people joined the annual event on the market place with more milling among the stalls, fairground rides and refreshments.
The main attraction was the arrival of Santa on his sleigh who met children afterwards in his grotto.
Live music entertained the crowds on the market place stage while Broad Street came alive with traditional fun fair rides.
The popular colourful display on narrow boats along the Old River Nene, was organised by members of the Middle Level Watermen’s Club, which drew the usual admirers to take photographs.
You may also want to watch:
• A Christmas Market will take place in the town on Sunday December 3 with a host of stalls to kick off the seasonal cheer.
• A civic carol service is at St. Peter’s Church, High Street, on December 15 from 7pm.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 6 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 7 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 8 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 9 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack