Ambulance takes two hours to reach a teenager following a car crash near Wisbech St Mary

The car in which the 17 year old girl was a front seat passenger when it hit a tree at 60mph in a co

The car in which the 17 year old girl was a front seat passenger when it hit a tree at 60mph in a collision between Guyhirn and Wisbech St Mary. She suffered severe back pain and was told an ambulance would take up to seven hours to reach her. In fact it took two hours before they arrived. PHOTO: Samantha Krauss - Credit: Archant

An ambulance took two hours to reach a teenager who was the front seat passenger in a car that was in collision with a tree.

Witnesses rushed to the scene near Wisbech St Mary to cover the 17 year old in blankets and keep her warm but because she was suffering severe back pain and could not feel one of her legs nobody dared move her.

Her mum Samantha Krauss said you can see from the photograph of the car that the accident was not a minor incident and said it was “outrageous” that it took so long to get her daughter and her boyfriend, the driver of the car, to hospital.

She said: “She was face down, laying on a bank in the mud.

“When police arrived they were told it would be seven hours before an ambulance could get there which is unacceptable.”

You may also want to watch:

Mrs Krauss, a CCTV operator with Fenland District Council, said that when the police arrived one of the policeman got on the phone to insist the ambulance service come quicker than seven hours.

“If it wasn’t for him I’m not sure what we would have done,” she said.

Most Read

Her daughter, a student at King’s Lynn, was on her way to eat lunch in a cafe in town before gong to her shift at Wisbech McDonald’s when the collision happened on Gull Road at about 2pm on Sunday 22 between Guyhirn and Wisbech St Mary.

She suffered severe bruising, back and pelvic pain.

The driver of the vehicle, the girl’s 19 year old boyfriend, was treated in hospital for an arm injury.

The East of England ambulance service said it received an emergency 999 call to High Road Tholomas Drove, Wisbech, after reports of a one vehicle RTC.

A spokesman said: “An ambulance was sent, on arrival the crew treated a male with minor injuries and a female with a back injury. Both patients were conveyed to Queen Elizabeth Hospital for further treatment.

“Due to high pressures on the Trust in the area at the time, the patient experienced a delay in a response being sent. We welcome the patient or his family to get in touch with us to discuss this further.”

ITV ran a story this week about ambulance delays putting people’s lives at risk.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter