East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust hoping to add to its 1000-strong clan of volunteers in 2017
- Credit: Archant
More than 300 people did it this year, and more than 1,000 have already done it – and today, the East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EEAST) is asking ‘could 2017 be the year that you volunteer?’
More than 320 people became community first responders this year after training from the Trust.
And service bosses are urging those interested in helping patients in their community to sign up and join the almost 300 CFR groups in the East.
Steve Catley, lead community collaboration manager for EEAST, said: “New Year is a time for making resolutions and setting goals for the forthcoming year. By becoming a CFR you will be joining a big family of life-savers and will be making a vital contribution to your community and the ambulance service.
“We are privileged to have so many dedicated CFRs who give up a lot of their time to volunteer. However, you can still make a difference if you can only spare a few hours a week.”
First responders are trained by EEAST, usually over a weekend, to respond to medical emergencies including cardiac arrests, patients with chest pain, breathing difficulties, allergic reactions and diabetes emergencies.
Because CFRs volunteer where they live or work, they often reach a patient before the arrival of an ambulance clinician. Every second counts when someone is not breathing and CFRs are trained to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and carry defibrillators.
- 1 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 2 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 3 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 4 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 5 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 6 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 7 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 8 'Most stunning' The Chase contestant takes on fresh challenge
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Couple up for the challenge as new high street shop launched
For more information about becoming a CFR and opportunities to become a volunteer car driver or Trust User Group member, visit http://www.eastamb.nhs.uk/join-the-team/community-first-responders.