Workmen are tidying the children’s area of Eastwood Cemetery in March
- Credit: Archant
Renovation work is under way in the children’s section of Eastwood Cemetery in March following problems of vandalism then workmen spraying the grass with a weed killer mix that was too strong by mistake.
The work by Fenland District Council involves levelling the area and marking vacant plots with flagstones.
Grass will be removed from around the plots and replaced with stone chippings.
The council said this will smarten up the area and remove the need for future weed spraying or grass strimming.
Councillor Peter Murphy, portfolio holder for environment, said: “These works will help us to keep the memorial area clean, tidy and a pleasant place to visit.
You may also want to watch:
“We will do all we can to minimise the disruption of these works and apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused.”
Last year a mum called for CCTV in the cemetery following a run of vandalism.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Local police at the time said they stepped up patrols but parents said more needed doing for security.
Listed as taken from various graves were fencing, solar lights, a plaque, gifts, cards and even a sponge used to clean the headstones.
Shortly afterwards two mums spoke out to say how they were left devastated when the grass around their baby graves was scorched and toys ruined from harsh chemicals sprayed on the grass around the head stones.
The council says the work being done now will not affect existing plots that have memorials with kerb surrounds as these will not be disturbed. Grass will be removed from around the plots and be replaced with stone chippings.
Grey flagstones are being offered, free of charge, if wanted, for existing children’s plots that do not have any kerbs or memorials laid.
Similar works have already taken place in the neighbouring ashes internment area.
ISS World, on behalf of the council, began work on Monday February 12 and work is likely to last for several weeks.
• Meetings are being offered to plot holders being affected by the work. To find out more contact Bob Ollier, parks and open spaces manager, on 01354 602149.