Eight screen cinema slimmed to six for opening after flooding issue temporarily rules out basement pair
- Credit: Archant
A multiplex cinema in Wisbech will open with six instead of eight screens because two are underground and have flooded.
The Light Cinema, part of the Tesco Extra complex in Cromwell Road, opens next Friday in time for half term but due to a flood problem not have all eight screens in use until the summer.
A cinema spokesman said: “There are two screens underground - they’re flooded but only because the builders haven’t got in yet.
“It’s right next to the river and the water table is high there.”
The spokesman said contractors had concentrated on getting the second floor done.
“They have tank water systems that are going to be in place to make sure it doesn’t flood but it does require a lot more building work,” he said. “The two screens will be open by summer.”
The eight-screen cinema will create 47 jobs, with the majority of people hired from the Wisbech area.
- 1 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 2 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 3 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 4 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 5 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 6 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 7 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 10 Man charged following Peterborough murder
The project has been 11 years in the planning and is being undertaken by cinema company The Light, which also has a cinema in New Brighton in the Wirral.
General manager Phil Dove said: “We are excited about being in Wisbech. It is a great opportunity for us because this town has a lot of potential. We hope to give a boost to its night time economy.
“There’s a generation of people who are not going to the cinema and a generation of older people who have stopped going.
“Our aim is to encourage people back to have an enjoyable night out.”
The cinema will hold events such as a kids club, holiday club, fancy dress screenings and autistic-friendly screenings.
Some films will be shown with Polish subtitles.