Elderly fifth class citizens
MY parents have been registered with Fenland District council for more than 11 weeks for a bungalow or ground floor flat in the Whittlesey/Eastrea/Coates areas. My father is a stroke victim and in poor health and is due in hospital next week for four days
MY parents have been registered with Fenland District council for more than 11 weeks for a bungalow or ground floor flat in the Whittlesey/Eastrea/Coates areas. My father is a stroke victim and in poor health and is due in hospital next week for four days of tests. My mother suffers with bad hips and knees.
As you can imagine this is a very stressful and worrying period for them both, but even more so with the worry of not knowing where they are going to live.
We were told they would be housed within six weeks and it is now 11 weeks. I have to complete the sale of my property by April 27 (which was graciously extended for four weeks by the buyers, as my parents had still not been housed).
I enquired at the Whittlesey council office as to their status and was informed that they had gone from third on the list to about 10th. No one was available to speak to at the March office. And the lady at the reception desk said she would send an e-mail out asking one of them to call us later that day. No one has.
Does this council do anything for the sick and elderly? Or have my parents become victims of this society, fifth class citizens who have paid into the system for more than 50 years, but are not entitled to anything in return?
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 3 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 4 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 5 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 6 Santa's magical, mystery arrival in the Fens on a tractor
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 9 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 10 Crash on A141 caused by 'medical issue'