Elderly targeted by masked raiders in Somersham and St Ives
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Masked men broke into the homes of elderly people and demanded cash.
The burglaries happened on Tuesday (December 15) in Brook Way, St Ives and St Ives Road, Somersham.
In the first incident, at just after 8pm, two men forced open the door of a mobile home in Brook Way, confronted a woman in her 80s and demanded money. She said she didn’t have any so the men made off with two handbags, one containing approximately £60 cash, and a hat belonging to her late husband, which contained medication.
In the second, detectives believe the same men, plus one other, forced open the back door of the property and confronted the occupant, a man in his 90s, who was in bed.
They demanded money but he sounded a panic alarm and they fled empty-handed.
You may also want to watch:
One of the men was wearing a balaclava and the other a woolly hat pulled over his face. There is no further description of the third man. They possibly left the scene in a small hatchback car.
DC Jo Grant, who is investigating, said: “Both victims are elderly and this was very distressing for them, particularly for the woman as the hat was of great sentimental value. I would appeal for anyone with any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, to contact police.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
Anyone with information should call DC Grant or Detective Sergeant Sarah Sleaford, from the Huntingdonshire burglary team, on 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.
The force is prioritising burglary as part of Operation Hunter, which aims to put offenders before the courts while urging residents to take home security seriously.