Elderly woman dies after driving along the A47 in the wrong direction at Peterborough
- Credit: Archant
An elderly woman who was driving the wrong way along a dual carriageway died following a two car collision on the A47 near Peterborough City Hospital this morning (Tuesday 13).
A police spokesman said: “Sadly we have had to confirm another fatality today.
“An elderly woman driving a car the wrong way along the A47 died at the scene after she collided head-on with another car.”
A red Daihatsu Charade and a silver Honda Jazz collided near Bretton Gate, killing the driver of the Charade, an elderly woman from the Peterborough area.
The driver of the Jazz, a woman in her 40s, also from the Peterborough area, suffered serious but not life threatening injuries and was taken to hospital.
You may also want to watch:
The collision happened at around 11am and prompted an emergency message from police who urged motorists to steer clear of the area after the A47 was closed to drivers in both directions.
Police, fire crew and ambulance staff were on site within minutes and saw long tailbacks as they worked to clear the site.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to call the road policing unit on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.