Elgood’s Coolship Fruit wins gold at the SIBA South East Beer Competition
- Credit: Archant
A fruity beer produced by Elgood’s Brewery tasted like gold to competition judges as it was named the best in its class at an event in south east England.
The Wisbech brewer’s Coolship lambic-style fruit beer won the gold medal in the speciality beer category at the Society of Independent Brewers’ south east beer competition – and won the bronze medal overall.
The beer was selected by 90 judges as the best in its class at the event, held in Tonbridge, where brewers from all over the south east region competed.
Coolship Fruit, which has an ABV of five per cent, is light purple in colour with a sparkling finish.
Blended with raspberry and a hint of blackberry, the sweet flavour is offset by smooth sourness of the lambic-style beer.
You may also want to watch:
Elgood’s is the only regional brewer in the country able to produce a lambic-style beer, due to owning a unique pair of open cooling trays known as ‘coolship trays’.
These allow the beer to cool naturally overnight, attracting a range of wild yeasts and flavours dominant in the area.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man found dead in March
- 4 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 7 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 8 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
The beer then undergoes a spontaneous fermentation over a period of six to nine months.
Claire Simpson, Elgood’s marketing director, said: “It’s fantastic to be receiving such accolades for our new lambic/sour beers.
“We are now brewing at full capacity for our sour beer range and due to increasing demand, plan to install a further two tanks later this year.”
The range of Coolship ales are available in 30-litre kegs. Coolship Fruit is also available in 330ml bottles.