Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- Credit: MARY NEAL
From traffic wardens to the wonder of Woolworth – from railways to royalty.
The archives from Ely Cambridgeshire Old Photos Local History Facebook coupled with the work of historian Mike Petty combine to offer historical gems.
Our delve into the past this week also includes a famous local boxer and a double look at trains. There’s the transformation that diesel from steam brought for drivers.
And, sadly, recollections of a train crash at Stretham Fen.
On a lighter note, it is to Cambridge itself Mike Petty takes us, exploring old street lamps and celebrations for coronation of King George V.
Join the page - which has thousands of members - online.
You may also want to watch:
(Images are credited to individual members of the Ely Cambridgeshire Old Photos Pictures Local History Facebook group. And, where appropriate, to Mike Petty).
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 3 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 4 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 5 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 6 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 7 ‘It’s a sad thing really’ - vandalism at village church and war memorial
- 8 How defibrillator access varies across the Fens and East Cambridgeshire
- 9 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash