Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- Credit: SAUD BEN-SAUD
Ely's annual Christmas lights switch-on event has been cancelled for 2021 due to "uncertainty" surrounding the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
The decision was made by the City of Ely Council, several months in advance of the now-cancelled event.
The Mayor of Ely and chair of the City of Ely Council, Cllr Sue Austen, said: "Unfortunately, due to the uncertainty with Covid-19, the council has taken the decision not to proceed with the Christmas lights switch-on event this year.
"However, the council very much looks forward to providing the Christmas lights Illuminations and a Christmas shopping evening where these can be appreciated.
"More details regarding this will be published in due course.
You may also want to watch:
"The council is very grateful to all the volunteers that have helped, past and present, in providing the switch-on event in previous years.
"And also thank you to all those that are out in all weathers erecting the lights for us all to enjoy."
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash