Ely councillor Tom, 24, to stand as one of youngest Euro election candidates in UK
- Credit: Archant
AT just 24 years old, Tom Hunt is already one of the youngest councillors in East Anglia.
But this week the Ely resident announced his intention to stand in the next European elections, where he will vie for a seat alongside experienced campaigners including Labour’s Richard Howitt and Liberal Democrat Andrew Duff.
The elections take place in May 2014 and, if elected, Cllr Hunt stands to become one of the youngest MEPs in the country.
Cllr Hunt, who lives in Cambridge Road and represents Ely South ward on East Cambridgeshire District Council, was moved to stand because of his “strong feelings” about re-negotiating Britain’s relationship with the EU.
He said: “Young people are just as impacted by the EU as anyone else and I want to give young people a voice.
You may also want to watch:
“Thirteen years before I was born was the last chance we had to have a say on the EU and it is a very different institution now than it was then. I think we can negotiate a better deal and that is what I will be pushing for.”
Cllr Hunt will stand as part of a seven-strong team of Conservative candidates in East Anglia.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire