Ely cycling club raise £800 by buy a tandem for sight disabled youngster
- Credit: Archant
An 11-year-old Norfolk boy with a sight disability will get the chance to take to the road on a tandem, thanks to members of an Ely cycling club.
Luke Salvador from Swaffham suffers from nystammus, which causes involuntary eye movement, and makes it difficult to focus on objects or recognise people more than a few metres away.
But his uncle Simon Pedley was determined that the youngster should be able to cycle with his family, and on Sunday members of the Octagon Cycling Club took part in a 100-mile sponsored ride to raise money for a tandem.
Mr Pedley, who lives in Ely, said: “When I heard that Luke wanted to learn to ride with his little brother I came up with the idea of helping him buy a tandem.
“The club quickly agreed to the challenge, so that Luke will be able to cycle with his mum on the tandem along with his brother and other members of his family, something he currnently cannot do.”
You may also want to watch:
Fifteen cyclists from the Ely based cycling club completed a 100 0r 85 mile route that included a stop in Swaffham for bacon sandwiches, drinks and cake at the home of Luke’s grandparents.
Simon added: “It was great and everybody pitched in, even people not able to do the ride but who normally cycle with us donated £20. One club member, Andrew Moss from Horizon Marketing Solutions, gave up alcohol and donated £50. Also Ian Smith from Ian Smith Kitchens and Bathrooms fixed a couple of guys’ toilets and taps and did not take payment; instead donated the money to Luke, which amounted to over £100.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
The ride raised about £800,and funds left after purchasing Luke’s tandem will go to a children’s sight charity.
* Octagon cycling (www.octagoncycling.co.uk) is a social road cycling group that meets at 8.00am every Saturday and 8.15am on Sundays in Ely Market Place. New riders are always welcome and membership is free. During the summer, additional rides are organised on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. All rides finish with, or include, coffee and cake.