Don’t miss out - there are just 100 places left for this year’s Ely Festive 5k
- Credit: Archant
With the annual Ely Festive 5K just weeks away, there are only 100 places left for runners to join in the charity run.
Festive fun-run lovers are being advised to book their places for the popular fancy dress run, which starts at 9am on Sunday November 25 and raises funds for the Arthur Rank Hospice.
Having raised £73,348 since the fun run - sponsored by Ward Gethin Archer and Price Bailey LLP - began in 2010, this year’s target is £15,000.
Tasha Hills, senior events and marketing officer, said: “Residents, and those who turn out to cheer on the running revellers, will be treated to a spectacular parade of cheery Christmassy outfits.
“The festive atmosphere will continue in the grounds of Ely Cathedral as supporters cheer runners across the finish line, Father Christmas makes an appearance and mulled wines and mince pies sponsored by East of England Co-op, are served.
“Spectators and participants will also be able to treat themselves to a warming or sweet treat from The Rural Coffee Company or Gourmet Brownie, who will be close by with additional refreshments.
“Our walkers are incredible at creating memorable Christmas outfits and I am sure they will also be telling family and friends about what they’re dressing up as and why.
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 3 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 4 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 5 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 6 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 7 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 8 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 9 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 10 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
“Previously, runners have dressed as tinsel-tousled fairies and rotund snowmen, Christmas puddings and cheeky elves, spritely reindeer, pieces of stripy rock and – last year – there was even a seven foot Christmas cracker.”
“Each year we need to secure £8.1 million to provide care to thousands of people, not only at our sites in Cambridge and Wisbech, but also across the county in people’s homes.
“We hope those taking part will rally friends, family and colleagues to show their support through sponsorship of their 5k fancy dress efforts.”
If you would like to take part in Ely Festive 5K, sign up at http://www.arhc.org.uk/ely-5k-registration.asp or call 01223 675888 for a postal registration form.
Places cost £12.50 for adults and £8 for children under 16.
Registration will close when all 800 spaces are full, or at 1pm on Friday November 23.
Completed forms can be sent in to the Arthur Rank Hospice at Great Shelford (Cambridge) or delivered in person with registration fees to the Ely office of Ward Gethin Archer (Market Place), by November 21.