Don’t miss out - there are just 100 places left for this year’s Ely Festive 5k
- Credit: Archant
With the annual Ely Festive 5K just weeks away, there are only 100 places left for runners to join in the charity run.
Festive fun-run lovers are being advised to book their places for the popular fancy dress run, which starts at 9am on Sunday November 25 and raises funds for the Arthur Rank Hospice.
Having raised £73,348 since the fun run - sponsored by Ward Gethin Archer and Price Bailey LLP - began in 2010, this year’s target is £15,000.
Tasha Hills, senior events and marketing officer, said: “Residents, and those who turn out to cheer on the running revellers, will be treated to a spectacular parade of cheery Christmassy outfits.
“The festive atmosphere will continue in the grounds of Ely Cathedral as supporters cheer runners across the finish line, Father Christmas makes an appearance and mulled wines and mince pies sponsored by East of England Co-op, are served.
“Spectators and participants will also be able to treat themselves to a warming or sweet treat from The Rural Coffee Company or Gourmet Brownie, who will be close by with additional refreshments.
“Our walkers are incredible at creating memorable Christmas outfits and I am sure they will also be telling family and friends about what they’re dressing up as and why.
- 1 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 2 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 3 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 4 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 5 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 6 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 9 Jury challenged to consider 'substantial body of evidence' pointing to Rikki's killer
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
“Previously, runners have dressed as tinsel-tousled fairies and rotund snowmen, Christmas puddings and cheeky elves, spritely reindeer, pieces of stripy rock and – last year – there was even a seven foot Christmas cracker.”
“Each year we need to secure £8.1 million to provide care to thousands of people, not only at our sites in Cambridge and Wisbech, but also across the county in people’s homes.
“We hope those taking part will rally friends, family and colleagues to show their support through sponsorship of their 5k fancy dress efforts.”
If you would like to take part in Ely Festive 5K, sign up at http://www.arhc.org.uk/ely-5k-registration.asp or call 01223 675888 for a postal registration form.
Places cost £12.50 for adults and £8 for children under 16.
Registration will close when all 800 spaces are full, or at 1pm on Friday November 23.
Completed forms can be sent in to the Arthur Rank Hospice at Great Shelford (Cambridge) or delivered in person with registration fees to the Ely office of Ward Gethin Archer (Market Place), by November 21.