Ely hospital ward closed due to staff shortage is set to re-open
- Credit: Archant
A HOSPITAL ward caring for elderly and dying patients in Ely that was closed due to staff shortages is on course to be open again in the coming months.
The Welney Ward at the Princess of Wales Hospital, off Lynn Road, was closed in January because it was understaffed and a recruitment campaign to bring in six new nurses failed.
All patients were moved to alterative homes and hospitals around the county, with staff also moved into temporary posts while the ward was closed.
Almost three months on however, Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust, which runs the ward, said it had made sufficient job offers to re-open the 21-bedded rehabilitation and end of life care ward.
Tracey Cooper, community manager for Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust, said: “I am pleased to confirm that the first phase of an extensive campaign has gone really well and following the interviews we have made sufficient job offers so that we can re-open the ward safely.
You may also want to watch:
“We are now seeking written acceptance of the offers and negotiating start dates with the prospective new members of staff. Once this part of the recruitment process has been completed we will be able to confirm an opening date.”
Ms Cooper added that a refurbishment of the ward had also been completed, which included redecorating and reflooring the ward and day room, the installation of air conditioning in the day room and the fitting of the latest call bell system.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'