Ely’s Edith celebrates her 105th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Ely resident Edith Atkin celebrated her 105th birthday last Tuesday surrounded by four generations of her family.
Edith, who lives at Vera James House in Ely, was joined by her son Gerard, grand-daughters Samantha and Fiona and three great grandsons Mitchell, Callum and Rhys for a family party to mark her big day.
Other residents of the home, in Chapel Street, joined staff and the family for cup cakes and tea.
Her son Gerard said: “It is hard to realise that she celebrated her 10th birthday the day after the Armistice ending the Great War was signed.
“She was born in Hull and spent most of her early years there. During the Second World War, she lived with her husband Eric in Bridlington and after that lived in South Wales, Manchester and Nottingham.
You may also want to watch:
“She was able to celebrate her 60th wedding anniversary with Eric in 1994, receiving a card from the Queen and enjoying a family party.
“After her husband died she came to live with me and my wife in the south of France, returning to the UK in 2006 to Vera James House.”
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire