Ely traffic is as sluggish as London according to a new survey
- Credit: Archant
Ely has been named as the country’s joint third slowest city and is only a second travelling speed behind Cambridge, the worst in Britain, according to latest figures.
The traffic in Ely travels at the same pace as the country’s capital, London, travelling at an average speed of just 14.59mph.
That speed is not far behind Cambridge where vehicles travel an average of 13.73 mph.
Dan Walton, managing director of Satrak Vehicle Tracking, which carried out the report, said: It’s nice to see that people are taking care in many of our cities, as these places are often busy and above all are not environments for speeding.
“This shows the importance that Cambridge and Ely have on the economy and business infrastructure of the country,” he said.
None of the traffic in the top ten slowest cities exceeded 20mph.
The fastest average speeds in cities were found to be in Carlisle (44.7 mph), Preston (39.8mph), and Winchester (39 mph).
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 3 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 4 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 5 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 6 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 7 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 8 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 9 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 10 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
When it comes to motorways the M25 was found to be the number one most sluggish with vehicles averaging just 25.05 mph.
The number 10 sluggish motorway was the M602 in Manchester with average speeds of 48.33mph.
The motorway results looked at data from 527,00 vehicles over the period of a year.