Emergency measures in place for flooding
SPECIAL emergency plans are in place to protect Fenland should it be threatened by floods. Our state of readiness is very high, Councillor Geoff Harper, told Fenland District Council last Thursday. Cllr Harper, leader of the council, said the response t
SPECIAL emergency plans are in place to protect Fenland should it be threatened by floods.
"Our state of readiness is very high," Councillor Geoff Harper, told Fenland District Council last Thursday.
Cllr Harper, leader of the council, said the response to flooding was set out in a countryside river and tidal flood plan, produced jointly by all district councils, the Environment Agency, county councils, Government office for the eastern region, Health Protection Agency, primary care trusts, the police, fire service and other agencies.
In answer to a question from Councillor Pam Potts, he said the plan had been updated this year and an exercise had been completed to test its effectiveness.
You may also want to watch:
"The plan is backed by trained staff, rest centre capacity if needed and clearly defined roles," he said.
The council had a supply of sandbags, as did the Environment Agency, and emergency planning staff monitored the situation daily.
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- Part of Whittlesey could be flooded if Moreton's Leam is not cleared warned Councillor Mick Speechley who reported that the leam, which runs from Stanground through to Guyhirn, was blocked.
He urged the council to put pressure on the Environment Agency to clear it.