English Orchards to be celebrated at Wisbech St Mary’s Apple Day
- Credit: Archant
A FENLAND farmer is hosting an Apple Day on his farm later this month.
Cambridgeshire County Farms tenant David Wheatley is inviting people to explore the 22 acres of ancient orchard at Willock Farm, Wisbech St Mary, on September 21 from 10am to 4pm.
The orchard, which was planted in the early 1900s, contains about 2,700 trees including Emneth Early, Laxtons Fortune, Laxton Superb, Anne Elizabeth and Lanes Prince Albert.
Willock Farm is home to the East of England Regional Collection, which consists of 250 varieties of apples, pears, plums and cherries.
Mr Wheatley said: “The event is a great chance to come and learn about the diversity of orchards and their benefits for wildlife, to buy apples and speak to the farmers who grow them.
You may also want to watch:
“The East of England Apples and Orchards Project (EEAOP) will also be there to help you identify your own fruits and offer advice on orchards.
“There will also be stalls, homemade cakes made with fruits from the orchard, apple juice and honey made by Willock Farm bees.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
For more information call David Wheatley on 07714 098943.