Euro-fest is a big success
THE Euro-fest which took place across the region last weekend was a resounding success with more people than ever taking advantage of the pre-Christmas shopping opportunity. Euro markets were held in March on Friday, Whittlesey on Saturday and Wisbech on
THE Euro-fest which took place across the region last weekend was a resounding success with more people than ever taking advantage of the pre-Christmas shopping opportunity.
Euro markets were held in March on Friday, Whittlesey on Saturday and Wisbech on Sunday.
Organised by Fenland District Council, the Euro-fest was almost a non-event when the usual operator pulled out at the last moment. The council managed to sign up the biggest continental market operator in Britain as a replacement and brought the event forward.
There were more than 200 metres of stalls selling everything from French cheeses, hams, sausages and fashion goods as well as crepes, croissants, bread, honey, jams and ciders.
You may also want to watch:
This was the first time Wisbech had hosted a continental market on a Sunday and there were concerns beforehand that it would clash with the atmosphere of Remembrance Sunday.
However, these fears were unfounded as the people of Wisbech lined the route for the remembrance parade and helped to create a "wonderful atmosphere", according to Fenland's markets officer, Mike Chapman. It was noted that there were more people in town on Remembrance Sunday than there had been for many years and market customers were queuing three-deep at some stalls.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
The next Euro market will return to Wisbech for Rose Fair in July and there will be another Christmas market in 2007.