Extraordinary response to charity car wash by March fire crews - just a week after floods devasted this Fenland town
- Credit: Archant
Nearly 300 cars streamed through a charity car wash in March to be scrubbed by firefighters who were just one week earlier pumping millions of litres of water out of the town.
Firefighters from the town’s on-call station say they have been overwhelmed with the support shown by townspeople for the charity event, which took place on Saturday at Tesco.
In just four hours a team of nearly 20 volunteers washed 275 cars and raised £810.
The event was run with a local group called Welcome To Our World, which has been set up to support children and young adults with disabilities. The goal of the group is to raise funds to build and run a centre that meets the needs of everyone in the community, irrespective of what type of disability or its severity.
The money raised is to be split between Welcome To Our World and The Fire Fighters Charity.
Andy Powell, Watch Commander at March, said: “What an incredible event! The stream of vehicles just did not stop and people were being so generous with their donations.
“We were very grateful to the generosity shown by everyone who had their cars washed, as well as the people who came along to just make a donation. It was hard work but it was worth it to be able to support two great causes.
- 1 Students in Cambridgeshire receive ‘fantastic’ A-level results
- 2 Head of sixth form at Sir Harry Smith ‘incredibly proud’ of students' A-level results
- 3 Friend pays tribute to 'kind-hearted' 20-year-old who died in bike crash
- 4 Florida Ice Effect phenomenon could put drivers at risk
- 5 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 6 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 7 Cyclists call bicycle plates and insurance 'unenforceable and unworkable'
- 8 Local MPs in talks with Anglian Water over new reservoir
- 9 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 10 Ramsey fire-fighters refill Horse Pond with water to save fish
“Our thanks also go to Tesco in March for their continued support by allowing us to use their car park. Without them we would not have had such a great event.”
Wisbech Fire Station will be running a charity car wash at the station on Saturday, September 20.