‘Extremely competent, intelligent and very caring’ UKIP Cambridgeshire county councillor Sandra Rylance dies
- Credit: Archant
UKIP Cambridgeshire County Councillor Sandra Rylance died yesterday (August 12).
She was elected as a member for Chatteris in 2013 and served as chairman of the Adult Social Care Committee. A by-election date will be announced in due course.
The mother of two was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour in May and spent her final weeks at the Arthur Rank Hospice in Cambridge.
Cambridgeshire UKIP leader Paul Bullen said: “Sandra was a tremendous lady who cared passionately about people and she would always put the needs of others before herself.
“She was selfless to the extreme, dedicated to serving the people of Chatteris and one of the most loving, trustworthy, loyal, honest and reliable people it has ever been my privilege to know.
You may also want to watch:
“She was a respected and admired member of the County Council and will be sorely missed by both fellow councillors and officers.
“During her short time on the Council, Sandra served on Full Council, the General Purposes Committee, the Health Committee (on which she was the UKIP Spokesperson), the Health & Wellbeing Board, the Staffing and Appeals Committee, the Fire Authority and the Fire Authority Policy and Resources Committee.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
“She was also chairman of the Adults Committee a role in which she excelled and in which she was respected by all members (regardless of political persuasion) who worked alongside her.
“Sandra will be missed by everyone who had the pleasure to know her and our thoughts and prayers are with her friends and family at this sad time.”
Conservative County Councillor Dave Connor said: “It was a privilege to get to know her over the past two and a half years.
“She was a kind, considerate and conscientious family person. She always did her very best for everyone regardless of political affinity.
“She was greatly respected by all councillors. It was a pleasure to work with her.
“We used to travel to meetings together. She was a good friend of mine and I’ll miss her greatly.”
A funeral service will take place at Muchwood Burial Ground, Ramsey at 12.30pm on Monday August 24.
The family have stated that there will be family flowers only and that should anyone wish to make a donation they can do so following the service.
All donations will be split between the Arthur Rank Hospice and the East Anglian Air Ambulance. There will be a wake after the service at Pidley Golf Club and everyone is welcome to attend.