Eye for a photo lands Wicken man with calendar prize
- Credit: Archant
A Wicken resident’s skills with the camera are helping to raise money in support of wildlife projects all over East Anglia.
Ross Thomson’s photograph of ladybirds emerging from hibernation on a frosty February morning has been selected as the February image in Anglia Co-operative’s 2014 Regional Wildlife Calendar.
All profits from the sale of the calendar will be shared between wildlife activities across Anglia Co-operative’s business area – including children’s watch groups run by the Wildlife Trust for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Northants to bring nature closer to youngsters.
Last year’s calendar netted £15,000 and, with Christmas cards – also featuring images taken by amateur photographers – raising money for wildlife activities, the aim is to hit £50,000 this year.
Ross’s photograph was selected from more than 800 entries submitted by amateur photographers from all over eastern England to a special competition to find the 12 images for the 2014 calendar. His success earned him a £250 cash prize.
You may also want to watch:
A falconer by profession, Ross was walking his dog one morning when he spotted the ladybirds huddled together on a plant.
He spends a lot of his spare time taking photographs of wildlife and animals and modestly says: “I got lucky with that photograph, I suppose.”
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
The calendar and Christmas cards are on sale at Anglia Co-operative foodstores and on-line at www.shop.coopcompetition.co.uk