Family are stepping out to say thank you for looking after grandad - the longest serving postman in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A family are fund raising to say thank you for the care given to their late grandfather who was well known in Wisbech for being the longest serving postman in town.
Dennis Atkin, 85, of Leverington, spent his final weeks in the Trafford Ward at Wisbech Hospital.
Now his granddaughter’s husband John Cross is running three half marathons over three consecutive weekends to raise funds in his memory.
His granddaughter Lisa Cross said: “He was in the hospital for about six weeks before we lost him and the care he received from the nurses was outstanding.
“My nan Freda wanted to give them a gift and they asked for some garden furniture for their court yard area.”
You may also want to watch:
The family have already bought a picnic bench with their grandad’s name on but now they want to raise more funds for the ward.
her grandad was the longest serving Royal Mail colleague - he worked as a postman in Wisbech for 50 years.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 6 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 7 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 10 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
John will be running marathons in Nottingham on September 25, Mablethorpe on October 2 and Peterborough on October 9.
To support him visit his Go Fund Me page.