Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- Credit: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service
A family made a lucky escape after a “devastating fire” ripped through their home.
Fire crews from Cottenham, Cambridge, Huntingdon and Bury St Edmunds were called at 8.18pm to Pheasant Rise in Bar Hill on December 2 to a well-developed fire.
"The fire started in the kitchen and spread quickly to other areas of the house,” Paul Clarke, station commander, said.
“An item on top of an electric hob was set alight following a ring being accidentally switched on.
“The plastic caught fire and quickly spread up the walls and throughout the kitchen, before spreading to the rest of the ground floor and the first floor.”
Firefighters extinguished the fire using hose reels, jets and a multistar aerial appliance to tackle the blaze from above, before returning to their stations at 1am.
Mr Clarke said the “devastating fire has caused significant damage to this family’s home.
- 1 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 2 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 3 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 4 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 5 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 6 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 7 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 8 'Most stunning' The Chase contestant takes on fresh challenge
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Couple up for the challenge as new high street shop launched
“However, the working smoke alarms in the property allowed the family to escape safely before the fire spread and thankfully no injuries were sustained.”