Fancy a strong man pulling a lorry as an attraction at your summer event? Then fund raiser Niall could be the answer!
- Credit: Archant
A driver has set himself a strong man challenge to pull an arctic lorry for charity and is looking for an event where he can perform the stunt in the Ely area during the summer.
Niall Hastings is new to the city and after turning 50 last year and retraining as a lorry driver, set himself the challenge to raise funds for two charities close to his heart.
In a style seen in popular strong man contests he will pull a six tonne tractor unit of an arctic truck with all money raised going to Waifs and Strays, a dog rescue based in East Sussex, and the Alzheimer’s Society a charity he supports after watching both parents suffer from the condition.
Niall said: “I’m hitting the gym and have been practising by pulling cars and vans around private car parks.
“Cross Country Carriers in Bury St Edmunds where I work are letting me use their yard so I’m gradually building up my strength.”
You may also want to watch:
Wearing a harness similar to those that scaffolders wear, he hopes to pull the truck at an event this summer.
“I’ve always been fascinated by the strong man competitions,” he said, “But I never thought I’d end up doing something like this.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 9 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 10 Man dies in three-car A47 crash and another remains in life-threatening condition
“It’s for two great causes which is a big motivator.”
Mr Hastings, whose son now runs his security firm, Alphaguard K9 in Sussex, has previously taken part in charity boxing matches and has also helped run dog shows for the Waifs and Strays charity.
If you would like him to appear at an event you are organising please email him on email@example.com.