Fancy a strong man pulling a lorry as an attraction at your summer event? Then fund raiser Niall could be the answer!
- Credit: Archant
A driver has set himself a strong man challenge to pull an arctic lorry for charity and is looking for an event where he can perform the stunt in the Ely area during the summer.
Niall Hastings is new to the city and after turning 50 last year and retraining as a lorry driver, set himself the challenge to raise funds for two charities close to his heart.
In a style seen in popular strong man contests he will pull a six tonne tractor unit of an arctic truck with all money raised going to Waifs and Strays, a dog rescue based in East Sussex, and the Alzheimer’s Society a charity he supports after watching both parents suffer from the condition.
Niall said: “I’m hitting the gym and have been practising by pulling cars and vans around private car parks.
“Cross Country Carriers in Bury St Edmunds where I work are letting me use their yard so I’m gradually building up my strength.”
Wearing a harness similar to those that scaffolders wear, he hopes to pull the truck at an event this summer.
“I’ve always been fascinated by the strong man competitions,” he said, “But I never thought I’d end up doing something like this.
- 1 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 2 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 3 Over 6,000 homes approved across Cambridgeshire this year
- 4 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 5 Chatteris Fire brigade respond to nearly 20 calls in two days
- 6 Heather's Hedgehog Hotel in Chatteris officially opens
- 7 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
- 8 Mayor's visit inspires Fenmen to cup thrashing
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 10 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
“It’s for two great causes which is a big motivator.”
Mr Hastings, whose son now runs his security firm, Alphaguard K9 in Sussex, has previously taken part in charity boxing matches and has also helped run dog shows for the Waifs and Strays charity.
If you would like him to appear at an event you are organising please email him on email@example.com.