Farewell to the old as Welney’s pavilion is demolished to make room for new community building
- Credit: Archant
Demolition contractor, Matthew Lawrence started on site on Monday to make way for the new community building currently being built at the premises of MRC Modular in Barroway Drove, Downham Market.
The demolition started last Monday (February 8) and took around a week to complete.
Foundation pads will now be constructed on which the new modular community centre will be situated.
This was the first phase of the £220,000 project to provide the village with a new community centre.
The project has been made possible by funding from WREN, Sport England and Marshalls Charity as well as funding events and donations in and around the village over the last few years.
You may also want to watch:
Sport England Inspired Facilities Fund provided £43,441, Marshall’s Charity donated £127,000, and WREN (which administers grants from money raised via landfill sites) gave £36,865 from the FCC Community Action Fund.
It is hoped work will start on the new building by the end of the month.
- 1 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 2 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 3 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 4 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
- 5 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 8 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 9 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 10 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
Councillors hope to be viewing the nearly completed modular building in the next two weeks at the site of MRC before it is then taken apart into sections before transporting to Welney where the completed modules will be re-assembled and the final works completed.
Welney Parish council will be photo documenting the demolition and building work over the next two months. The craning in of the sectional building will be a key moment for the project.