Farm payment incompetence
JUST when it seemed that Margaret Beckett s handling of the Single Farm Payment crisis could not get any more duplicitous or incompetent, a new nugget of information comes to light. In response to my question in the European Parliament s agriculture commi
JUST when it seemed that Margaret Beckett's handling of the Single Farm Payment crisis could not get any more duplicitous or incompetent, a new nugget of information comes to light.
In response to my question in the European Parliament's agriculture committee, commissioner Fischer Boel admitted she had "received a formal request from the UK government on April 12 for an extension of the regulatory deadline to October 15 2006".
The government continues to mislead farmers. It is unacceptable that an EU offficial should tell us what our own government is doing.
Farmers in East Anglia now face the prospect of being penalised for failing to return forms they haven't received while getting no compensation for the government's failure to pay them money they were owed last year.
And yet no one will accept responsibility. The sooner Mrs Beckett accepts responsibility and resigns, the better.
- 1 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 4 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
MEP representing the Eastern Region