Farmhouse and garage at The Causeway, Thorney, Cambridgeshire, destroyed by ‘particularly difficult’ blaze - one man hospitalised for smoke inhalation
- Credit: Terry Harris Photography
Sixty firefighters tackled a ‘particularly difficult’ blaze that destroyed a farmhouse and left one man hospitalised in Cambridgeshire last night.
The fire, which had started in the garage and rapidly spread to the house due to strong winds and the involvement of a fuel tank, left the promises at The Causeway, Thorney, burnt to the ground.
Crews were called at 6.05pm and the first crews in attendance immediately requested further fire engines.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: “The garage contained a number of cars which were all burnt out.”
One man was treated by an ambulance crew at the scene for smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Sean Brown, incident commander, said: “This was a particularly difficult fire to tackle which was exacerbated by strong winds, cylinders in the garage and the need for a large water supply.
“We used a relay of fire engines to bring water to the scene from a nearby hydrant and the fire was under control by 10pm.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 10 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
“Sadly the fire has completely destroyed the garage, its contents and the adjoining house.”
The incident was scaled down shortly after 11pm.
Two fire engines remained at the scene overnight with firefighters monitoring the remaining hot spots which crews were unable to access due to the unstable buildings. One crew continues to make inspections.
The cause of the fire was accidental.