Fatal crash after teen possibly fell asleep at wheel after visiting girl friend in Wisbech
THE teenager killed in the early hours of yesterday on a Fen road may have fallen asleep at the wheel on the way home after visiting his girlfriend in Wisbech.
That’s the conclusion his grieving family have arrived at after Nathan Missen, 18, was killed after his Corsa SXI crashed on the B1050 Earith Road at 2am yesterday.
Nathan’s car is thought to have crashed into a tree and burst into flames. Rescuers found him at the scene and he was taken to hospital but later died.
The teenager was a trainee fitter at Kwik Fit in Cambridge and was popular both with work colleagues and with his bosses.
One of many comments posted on a special Facebook tribute page described him as “the nicest person you could ever meet, always happy and smiling.
You may also want to watch:
“If anyone needed him ever he would always be there for you, no matter what.”
Nathan’s death brings the number of people killed on county roads this year to 22 - 12 more than the same period last year.
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 4 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 5 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 6 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 9 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 10 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
Just one month ago Nathan, of Fen End, Over, enthused about going into a new relationship.
He posted on his wall: “I love this girl so much; she does not know how I feel about her.”
And 12 hours before the crash, his girlfriend wrote several messages on his Bebo page saying “love you”.
The busy road towards Chatteris was closed between Willingham and Earith Bridge for approximately 12 hours as police carried out extensive investigations into the one-vehicle crash.
His death comes after Chatteris brothers Mitchell and Matthew Jacobs died in collision with two white Scania mixing lorries in Brockley End, Elsworth, at 5.15pm last Wednesday (August 11).
Less than 24 hours later, popular Metalcraft apprentice Craig Bird died in a two vehicle collision near the Ramsey Forty Foot.
Anyone with information about the latest crash should call Pc Theron Pearman in the roads policing unit on 0345 456 4564.
HEARTFELT floral tributes have been laid on a Fen road where a popular teenager died after visiting his girlfriend in Wisbech.
Just hours after the road was reopened following yesterday’s (Thursday, August 19) 2am smash, friends and family flocked to the scene of the accident to lay flowers bearing messages including: “Always in our thoughts.”
Another reads: “It all feels like a dream and none of this happened. Going to miss you loads, you will never be forgotten.”
Soft toys and car parts from the crash have also been put amongst the flowers.