Father and daughter, inspired by plight of loved one, team up to scale Mount Snowdon in aid of Arthritis Research UK
- Credit: Archant
A father and daughter scaled Mount Snowdon to raise funds for a cause close to their hearts.
Julie Welbourn, of Wisbech, accompanied by her father Kev, climbed the mountain to raise funds for Arthritis Research UK.
Since Julie was a baby, her mother Diane has suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, a debilitating condition which leaves her in constant pain and unable to do the simplest tasks.
Ms Welbourn said: “We chose Arthritis Research UK as my mum has suffered with rheumatoid arthritis for about 28 years since I was a tiny baby.
“When her illness is at its worst it has massive effects on her body and stops her doing even the simplest of day to day tasks.
You may also want to watch:
“It is heartbreaking to see someone so special in so much pain.
“Unfortunately we have several elderly members of the family and friends who are in constant pain daily because of this terrible complaint.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
“It is the work of Arthritis UK which allows new medicines to be formed, but it is only funded by public donations as they don’t get any government funding.”
Mr Welbourn said the climb, carried out in blazing sunshine, was a gruelling but rewarding experience.
He said: “The climb and descent ended up being just under 11 miles in very hot sunshine. Although the going was very tough with some injuries we had a fantastic time.
“We’ve raised more than £800 already for Arthritis Research UK and with pledges coming in we are hoping to get up to £1,500. It would be amazing to get there.”
You can still donate at justgiving.com/thesnowdonchallenge. To find out more about Arthritis Research UK go to www.arthritisresearchuk.org