Feasibility study for raising Welney Causeway brought forward
- Credit: Archant
A feasibility study into raising the Welney Causeway will take place a year earlier than planned.
The £50,000 study, which will be funded by the Anglian Regional Flood and Coastal Committee (RFCC), will start before the end of the financial year.
It will determine the costs of raising the A1101 Welney Causeway to stop it flooding for many weeks at a time during the winter, how the project can be delivered and its potential benefits.
MP Steve Barclay, who discussed funding for the feasibility study with RFCC chairman Steve Wheatley earlier this month, welcomed the news.
He said: “This is great news. I know how frustrated people living in the area are at having to take lengthy and costly detours every winter.
You may also want to watch:
“There is still some way to go but it is fantastic to hear the feasibility study will now be completed this year – a whole 12 months earlier than previously anticipated.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital