Fed up with being the poor relation
FENLAND District Council sold its biggest asset for about £40million, giving over half of it to central Government. The remaining £19million seems to be a hot potato for some of our free-spending councillors. However, a man who appears to have more clout
FENLAND District Council sold its biggest asset for about £40million, giving over half of it to central Government.
The remaining £19million seems to be a hot potato for some of our free-spending councillors.
However, a man who appears to have more clout than the elected members has different ideas. Mat Taylor, executive director of finance, told the councillors he had sidelined £4million of it for a contingency fund.
Leader, Councillor Geoff Harper, has made it known that Chatteris will not be in the frame for any help, saying "it will be unlikely Chatteris will get a leisure centre out of the sale proceeds". To rub salt into the wound he went on to say: "Even if a centre were built there would be an annual running cost, something the council may not be able to afford."
Such actions reinforce my claim that Chatteris is the poor relations of Fenland.
The council leader has publicly reneged on a district council pledge made in 2003 - to pick up the annual running costs of Chatteris Leisure Centre as soon as it is built.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 10 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
In August 2004 Cllr Harper stated: "Every councillor worth their salt will listen fully to the message coming from the people they represent."
As leader Cllr Harper represents all of Fenland, and we expect him to listen to the people of Chatteris.
REG WENN, Acre Fen, Chatteris