Two Fen bus services threatened with closure saved until the summer
- Credit: Archant
Two bus routes that were rumoured to be stopping in the new year have won a reprieve until the summer.
The Huntingdon to Chatteris and March bus (number 35) and the Huntingdon to Ramsey (30), were feared to be ending in the new year.
However, it has been confirmed they will continue until August 2018, when a review will take place.
Paul Nelson, interim head of passenger transport services, said: “Cambridgeshire County Council has agreed to fund replacement services for the 30 and 35 bus routes from January 1.
“The timetables will be unchanged and there will be no break in service. The services will continue to be operated by Stagecoach.
You may also want to watch:
“The new contracts have been let until the end of August 2018, in line with other contracts recently let to replace services de registered by Whippet Coaches.
“It will be part of the review process agreed by Economic and Environment Committee in August.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
The bus slashing fears came after the county council received notification from Stagecoach about withdrawing two commercial bus services at the end of the year.
Officers then pledged to look into options for providing alternative services.
MP Steve Barclay said: “On behalf of constituents in Chatteris, I have sought clarity over the proposed suspension of the Stagecoach East no. 30/35 bus service which connects the town to Huntingdon.
“The timetables will remain unchanged and the services will continue to be operated by Stagecoach.
“In-line with similar contracts to replace de-registered bus services, the number 30/35 bus contract has been let until the end of August 2018 when it will be reviewed.”
In October Andy Campbell, managing director of Stagecoach East, said: “We are looking at a number of services that have been under performing - but discussions with the county council are ongoing and it is too early to say what the future holds.”
Last year Stagecoach pulled the 1.20pm bus from the 35 service which meant people had to hang around for an hour in Chatteris after work to wait to catch the X9 home to March.