Fen vegetable supplier Produce World busier than ever this Christmas with broccoli a big hit
- Credit: Archant
A Fen grower and supplier is reaping the benefits of peoples’ appetite for vegetables this Christmas.
Produce World, which has factories in Chatteris, Sutton Bridge and Isleham, has enjoyed a surge in demand for its produce over the festive period.
Demand for broccoli is up 19.9 per cent, while there has been a 5.6 per cent increase in carrot sales and a five per cent increase in root vegetable sales.
In the week before Christmas Produce World harvested 950,000 kilos of sprouts and distributed five times the amount of parsnips across the UK compared to the average week.
Elsewhere, demand for King Edward potatoes more than doubles from November to December. Over the course of the year, Produce World grows and supplies 2.5 billion carrots.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Burgess, agricultural director at Produce World, said: “Christmas is definitely our busiest period, with Produce World colleagues working tirelessly to make sure the UK public get their favourite seasonal vegetables.
“However, the recent growth in demand for organic vegetables during 2014 means we will be working harder than ever during the festive period.”
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour