Fenland artist’s hard work pays off as her paintings get chosen to appear at Westminster exhibition
HOURS of hard work has paid off for a talented artist from Fenland whose paintings will be on display at a world-famous exhibition in London next month.
Lucille Carter, a member of The Society of Botanical Artists since 2004, has had five paintings selected from the thousands of entries hoping to be picked for the group’s annual display at Central Hall in Westminster.
The former art teacher has also had one cacti masterpiece, ‘cleistocactus jujuyensis’, chosen to make the society’s 2011 catalogue. Only 60 masterpieces were selected.
“I’m really proud that my work has been chosen as I tried to do something a little different and abstract,” said Mrs Carter who was born in Australia and now co-owns the W-Four restaurant in Wisbech.
“I called my collection ‘A Thousand Pricks’ because I wanted to give the judging panel a smile. They really liked my work and when they read out the name of my paintings they all laughed too.”
Mrs Carter has worked hard to establish a fine reputation as an artist and took six years to become part of the exclusive society. She is also widely known across Fenland for her four restaurant successes with her husband, and Wisbech Town FC chairman, Barry.
The Australian’s artwork will join around 700 selected plant-themed pieces at the gallery which will contain works of art from across the globe. The exhibition runs from April 8-17.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 3 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 4 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 5 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 6 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
- 9 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
- 10 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
A smaller set of Mrs Carter’s five paintings can be bought for �8 at W-Four in Exchange Square, Wisbech.