Fenland artist’s hard work pays off as her paintings get chosen to appear at Westminster exhibition
HOURS of hard work has paid off for a talented artist from Fenland whose paintings will be on display at a world-famous exhibition in London next month.
Lucille Carter, a member of The Society of Botanical Artists since 2004, has had five paintings selected from the thousands of entries hoping to be picked for the group’s annual display at Central Hall in Westminster.
The former art teacher has also had one cacti masterpiece, ‘cleistocactus jujuyensis’, chosen to make the society’s 2011 catalogue. Only 60 masterpieces were selected.
“I’m really proud that my work has been chosen as I tried to do something a little different and abstract,” said Mrs Carter who was born in Australia and now co-owns the W-Four restaurant in Wisbech.
“I called my collection ‘A Thousand Pricks’ because I wanted to give the judging panel a smile. They really liked my work and when they read out the name of my paintings they all laughed too.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Carter has worked hard to establish a fine reputation as an artist and took six years to become part of the exclusive society. She is also widely known across Fenland for her four restaurant successes with her husband, and Wisbech Town FC chairman, Barry.
The Australian’s artwork will join around 700 selected plant-themed pieces at the gallery which will contain works of art from across the globe. The exhibition runs from April 8-17.
- 1 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 2 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 3 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 4 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 5 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 6 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 7 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 8 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 9 'No excuse' not to publish costs says funeral director
- 10 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
A smaller set of Mrs Carter’s five paintings can be bought for �8 at W-Four in Exchange Square, Wisbech.