Fenland bodybuilder flexes his muscles at two national competitions
A BODYBUILDER from March flexed his muscles at two national competitions as years of hard work in honing his physique finally paid off.
Matt Monk from March had been on a strict diet and detox for nine months to achieve his ripped physical condition but has trained intensely at Ironworks Gym in Wisbech for several years.
Mr Monk was not placed at either event at the NEC in Birmingham and Great Yarmouth but was still pleased with his performances.
Leigh Loughton, the bodybuilder’s girlfriend, said: “Bodybuilding is not too widely recognised but it takes a lot of hard work, time, dedication and will power.
“Matt got involved in the gym and bodybuilding as a teenager because he became overweight. He has showed how goals can be achieved and how everybody can turn things round to become fit, motivated and healthy. “All of Matt’s family and friends are so proud of him - he’s worked so hard to achieve his goals.”
Mr Monk thanked his training partner Nik Okerika who has helped and supported him during his conditioning programme and has ready returned to training. He won’t compete in any more competitions this year though as he has a wedding to plan.
The debate continues to rage as to whether bodybuilding - a form of body modification where bodybuilders display their muscular physiques to a panel of judges, who assign points based on their appearance - is a sport.
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 3 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 4 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 5 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 6 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 7 Santa's magical, mystery arrival in the Fens on a tractor
- 8 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 9 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 10 Crash on A141 caused by 'medical issue'
The International Federation of Bodybuilders attempted to make the event an Olympic sport in 2000 but the International Olympic Committee turned the group’s requested down.