Fenland bodybuilder flexes his muscles at two national competitions
A BODYBUILDER from March flexed his muscles at two national competitions as years of hard work in honing his physique finally paid off.
Matt Monk from March had been on a strict diet and detox for nine months to achieve his ripped physical condition but has trained intensely at Ironworks Gym in Wisbech for several years.
Mr Monk was not placed at either event at the NEC in Birmingham and Great Yarmouth but was still pleased with his performances.
Leigh Loughton, the bodybuilder’s girlfriend, said: “Bodybuilding is not too widely recognised but it takes a lot of hard work, time, dedication and will power.
“Matt got involved in the gym and bodybuilding as a teenager because he became overweight. He has showed how goals can be achieved and how everybody can turn things round to become fit, motivated and healthy. “All of Matt’s family and friends are so proud of him - he’s worked so hard to achieve his goals.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Monk thanked his training partner Nik Okerika who has helped and supported him during his conditioning programme and has ready returned to training. He won’t compete in any more competitions this year though as he has a wedding to plan.
The debate continues to rage as to whether bodybuilding - a form of body modification where bodybuilders display their muscular physiques to a panel of judges, who assign points based on their appearance - is a sport.
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 3 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 6 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 7 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 8 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 9 Floral tributes laid for ‘amazing brother’ killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 Cannabis factory uncovered in Fen village
The International Federation of Bodybuilders attempted to make the event an Olympic sport in 2000 but the International Olympic Committee turned the group’s requested down.