Fenland Business Awards: A Q&A with last year’s Commercial Business in the Community award winner Co-operative Travel at Central England Co-operative
- Credit: Archant
The Commercial Business in the Community / Corporate Social Responsibility Award is open for any commercial business that contributes to the environment, community and society.
The judges will be looking for evidence that include the majority of the following:
Objective – What environmental, social or economic projects are your company involved in and why?
Strategy – Give details of your strategy including logistics, funding and organisational challenges.
Impact – Give details of the contribution the project has made to the environment or community.
You may also want to watch:
Commitment to future – Give details of future project or explain how current projects require continuous support.
Last year’s winner was Co-operative Travel at Central England Co-operative and the judges said: “The Co-operative showed a deep understanding of getting involved in the local community.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
“They have created two great projects working with partners to help local deprived children.
“They recycle or redistribute their magazines and stands to help school projects or for recycling to help the environment.
“They have a great deal of energy and a passion to be part of the local area.”
2017 winners questions
• Briefly, what has happened at Co-operative Travel at Central England Co-operative since winning the Commercial Business in the Community Award in 2017?
Winning the award really gave the team a boost and made us feel proud of who we are and what we do. Our Santa’s suitcase appeal goes from strength to strength each year and last year in particular following our success in the Fenland Enterprise Business Awards
• What have been the company’s main challenges in 2017/18?
The industry in which we work is ever changing and fast paced and so we are always ready for any challenges or obstacles that come our way.
• What has been your biggest success in 2017/18?
Winning the Commercial Business in the Community Award and being shortlisted for Retailer of the year was a definite highlight of our year.
• What are Co-operative Travel at Central England Co-operative plans for 2018 and beyond?
We are always looking at ways we expand our services out into the wider community and getting involved in local initiatives, so that is the plan going forward – to look at what more we can give back to the community.
• What did winning the awards mean to you and what would you say to businesses thinking about entering the awards for the first time?
Winning at the awards and being shortlisted was a very proud moment for us as a team and as individuals – to know that what we have done and continue to do was recognised outside of our company was very humbling.
It was also a fantastic team night out together – If you feel you have something special going for you as a business and as a team then, yes definitely, businesses should enter.