Fenland couple celebrating 70th wedding anniversary
A FENLAND couple are today celebrating their 70th wedding anniversary.
Ron and Betty Brown, of Station Avenue, Murrow, married at Sutton St Edmund’s church in Lincolnshire in 1941 after their teenage-friendship blossomed.
They have always lived in the Fens and moved to Murrow 64 years ago. They have had four children (Terry, Ann, Eileen and Kim) during their marriage.
Mrs Brown, 88, said: “I always expected us to be together for our whole lives as in those days marriage always meant for life.
“You have to go through your ups and downs together, everyone has them, and if people say they don’t then I think they are lying.
You may also want to watch:
“Couples today throw in the towel too easily when things get tough and people think the grass is greener on the other side. I don’t think it usually is.
“The key to a long and happy marriage is just to be content and not wanting something you can’t have. I suppose I’d be lost without Ron.”
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 5 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 6 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 7 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 8 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 9 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 10 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
Mr Brown, 90, has been a lorry driver for most of his life and his wife says she has worked in “anything that came along” to help make ends meet.
The pair now have seven grandchildren (Dean, Kerry, Darren, Craig, Matthew, Jessica and Tom) and nine great-grandchildren (Aaron, Danielle, Ryan, Hannah, Chelsea, Ruby, Kieron, Libbie, Lily).