Fenland couple get married at nearly 11:11.11 on 11/11/11
A GROOM chose to marry his wife on 11/11/11 at 11am because he was a fan of the number 11.
Stephen, 39, and Nicky Bourke, held a two minute silence before taking their vows on Remembrance Day at Audmoor House. They are the first couple to have champagne and cupcakes at their wedding in the March Register Office.
Mrs Bourke, who had her right leg amputated in May, met her future husband in Dublin eight years ago through mutual friends will take their honeymoon and have a big gathering with family and friends in Ireland next year.
The 37-year-old lives with her husband and two-year-old son Freddie in Outwell. She said: “It may be lucky a lucky date to get married but my husband and I are not superstitious, he just likes the number for some reason. When we were thinking about the date he said he’d like to get married then and I went in and booked the day.
“I think we were very close to being declared husband and wife at 11:11.11am on 11/11/11 but everyone was too busy taking pictures than looking at our watches.
You may also want to watch:
“It will probably be the first time a guy has a say in the wedding day and probably the last - I did everything else.”
A Cambridgeshire County Council spokesman said the day had been a popular wedding date in the county. He said: “There were five weddings at the March Register Office on Friday 11/11/11 and 15 overall in Cambridgeshire.
- 1 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 2 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
“Compared to last year 11/11/2010 there were none at March and county-wide and on Friday 12/11/10 there were none on Friday, 12/11/2010, in March and just three in the County.”