Fenland District Council finish runner-up in prestigious local government award
FENLAND District Council was named as the runner-up in the Council of the Year category at the Local Government Chronicle Awards last night.
The council lost out to Blackburn and Darwen Borough Council, which is a unitary authority - leaving Fenland as the best district council.
Council Leader Alan Melton, who attended the London ceremony with a group of members and officers, said: “There were over 400 nominations; to receive this accolade is a significant achievement.
“This has been a very difficult year for local government, particularly Fenland District Council, in the face of significant cuts and changes.
“This result is down to the hard work and dedication of all of our staff, who, despite severe constraints, have continued to serve our customers with dedication and professionalism.
You may also want to watch:
“To be judged by our peers and sections of the private sector is no mean achievement, we should all be very proud.”
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 4 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 5 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 6 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 7 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 8 Alleged paedophile released on bail
- 9 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 10 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home