Fenland diving centre to hold unique underwater Royal Wedding party
DIVERS will go underwater to toast William and Kate’s big day on Friday as Fenland hosts a unique Royal Wedding party.
As billions of people across the globe prepare to enjoy street parties Gildenburgh Water, in Whittlesey, has organised a dive party which promises to offer an alternative to sandwiches and cakes in the street.
For 12 hours, divers from across Cambridgeshire will celebrate the happy couple’s wedding with non-alcholic bubbly at the former brickyard lake site.
Free entry, swimming and canoeing for spectators at the national scuba diving centre in Whittlesey is expected to draw the crowds with a lavish array of ‘royal dishes at peasant prices’ on offer.
Chief instructor Ian Forster said: “A Royal Wedding is a rare event and most people want to do something different on the day.
“Diving appeals to young and old alike, so it’s a great way to enjoy some relaxing, quality time with friends and family by the water. There’s even a large screen TV for those who want to watch the Royal Wedding live.”
To keep the fun bubbling above the water as well as under it, Mr Foster has organised a treasure hunt for crowns and tiaras, mystery land and lake activities, a Royal Fancy Dress Competition, and lots of wet sponges to punish treasonous divers imprisoned in the stocks.
- 1 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 7 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 8 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 9 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 10 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
Free tickets can be reserved on www.gildenburgh.com or by calling 01733 351288.