Fenland farm plans energy-efficient pig breeding unit - including wind and solar energy
PLANS have been unveiled to create an energy-efficient pig breeding unit at a Fenland farm – including a wind turbine and solar panels.
Rattlerow Farms wants to build a new Weaner/Grower and Farrowing pig building on vacant agricultural land at Coneywood Farm, Doddington.
The existing pig rearing operation at the farm consists of 300 sows but managing director Adrian Lawson is looking to reduce the farm’s carbon footprint.
A statement submitted to Fenland District Council by agent Jim Bywater, of ARM Buildings Ltd, said: “The buildings currently used for rearing have been in service for many years and as such are of a compromised structure with poor insulation properties when compared with modern building practise.
“The old buildings are inefficient and as a result they have high energy consumption in order to maintain the optimum temperature for the piglets.”
You may also want to watch:
Power will be supplemented with a 50kw Endurance E-3120 wind turbine which “has been deliberately kept to a modest size to be less imposing on its surroundings.
“The output has been matched to the farm as Rattlerow Farms have no intention of supplying power back to the grid.”
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
Solar panels will also be fitted to the roof of the new building and on existing buildings.
Mr Bywater said: “The addition of Solar PV panels and the wind turbine will bring Rattlerow Farms Ltd closer to achieving their aims of reducing energy consumption and ultimately its carbon footprint.
“This scheme is currently being carried out at other sites owned by Rattlerow Farms Ltd and is intended to make this progressive, pig farming enterprise more environmentally friendly and efficient.”