Fenland farmer Gordon Easton gives March Society an unforgettable tour of his eclectic collection at his Coates farm
- Credit: Archant
Gordon Easton is a retired Fenland farmer, collector extraordinaire and raconteur provided March Society members with an unforgettable experience by showing them round his massive and extraordinary collection of objects.
The collection is housed in barns, sheds and containers spread around his family’s farmland near Coates.
Gordon has an eclectic and unique collection that includes vintage cars, lorries, gypsy caravans, agricultural transport (with some magnificent Ferguson tractors), farm wagons, machinery, work tools, posters, toys, luggage and household items. Some of his collection is around 200 years old or more. There are so many interesting things that the visitor cannot help but gasp with surprise, amazement and delight at the scale and diversity. Many items were obtained locally but others have been brought to the farm from across the UK and the world.
Included in the collection is a jeep used in the film ‘Saving Private Ryan’, an original poster advertising tickets for a voyage on the Titanic and a Dalek resting in a dark corner of a packed outbuilding.
Guided tours can easily take over 3 hours with Gordon telling incredible anecdotes about collecting and restoring the items.
Arrangements may be made to take groups around the private collection with financial donations passed on to local charities.
The March Society’s June event on Wednesday June 14th at 7pm in March Library is a talk by well-known Cambridgeshire historian Mike Petty on ‘Fenland Past and Present’ looking at Fenland issues over the years. Everyone is welcome. Members £2, non-members £3 including tea coffee and biscuits. The March Society has a website www.themarchsociety.org.uk and is on Facebook and Twitter.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 8 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 9 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body