Fenland football coach set for Tanzania trip to promote sports leadership
A FENLAND football coach is preparing to fly out to Africa to help teach the beautiful game to children in Tanzania.
Shereen Hutton, 20, from March, has been selected as a volunteer on the UK Sport IDEALS initiative, an exchange programme which promotes sports leadership in partner countries.
Leaving on Saturday, Miss Hutton will work on the Beckworth International Leadership Development (BILD) centres to help pass on her coaching skills to young Tanzanians.
The former Neale-Wade Community College student is in her second year of a Sports Development and Coaching course at Sheffield Hallam University.
She said: “Everyone in the department applied for just four slots on this project, so I feel very lucky to have been selected.
You may also want to watch:
“Last year I spent three months coaching in America but this will be a bit different. I’m nervous but really excited about it.”
Miss Hutton will teach a variety of sports as well as some health awareness issues during the eight-week trip.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Car blaze was arson say fire chiefs
- 3 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 4 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 5 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 6 Zero hygiene rating for East Cambs take-away
- 7 Ledger discovery affords a glimpse of Victorian travel
- 8 Cross party review says 39 councillors for Fenland not enough -three more needed
- 9 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 10 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
She will help coach youth football sides preparing for the East African Cup and a weekly blog will be written to give updates on the project’s progress.
The 20-year-old has completed a series of fundraising events, including a 24-hour cycle ride, to help cover the cost of the trip. She has also received a donation from the FA.
Miss Hutton is still searching for sponsors and anyone interested in helping to fund the trip should contact her by e-mail on: email@example.com