Fenland footballer through to trials with professional contract up for grabs
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland footballer has moved a step closer to fulfilling his lifetime dream.
Nick Davey, 23, of Wisbech, is among 360 amateur footballers shortlisted in a nationwide talent search that will see three of them win professional playing contracts at Football League clubs.
The Peterborough Northern Star striker will take part in the first round of trials in the Samsung Win A Pro Contract competition that could see him sign up for Swindon Town, Wycombe Wanderers or Leyton Orient.
More than 5,700 players from all over the country entered the competition.
Davey said: “I am looking forward to the regional stages. It’s a great opportunity for me to hopefully show what I can do and then progress on in the competition.
You may also want to watch:
“I know I am more than capable of winning the competition and I need to keep working hard and do the right things.
“I definitely want to be in the final six but it would mean everything to me if I won a pro contract. It is all I have wanted and worked for since I was a boy.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
Last year’s winners, Jack Sherratt and Kayden Jackson, signed for Leyton Orient and Swindon Town respectively.
To follow the competition, please go to www.facebook.com/samsungfootball