Letter: Why not come and join the Fenland Independents Alliance?
- Credit: HARRY RUTTER
Come and join us
Over the past few years, there has been an increase in Independent/minor party candidate successes in local elections – as an example, The Fenland Independents Alliance (FIA) consists of 10 Independents, two liberal Democrats and a Green Party member.
They now hold one third of the seats on Fenland District Council. The Independents, holding 10 seats, make up a quarter of the total council seats, the largest opposition group for many years, and they and others hold a growing number of seats on town and parish councils.
Now that the Government has announced that the elections due on May 6 are going ahead there may be a number of Fenland residents who are considering standing as Independents/non-aligned party in those elections but who may be put off from standing for various reasons.
The FIA Independent members are offering their support and advice to anyone considering such a move.
Just email your contact details to the following address and a member will contact you to discuss how we can support and assist you.
You may also want to watch:
Up for grabs locally (although others may become vacant) are
~ ALL Cambridgeshire County Council wards (nine in Fenland)
- 1 Rogue trader tells victim: 'I'll knock your lights out'
- 2 Town secures £1million funding for masterplan to make it 'thrive'
- 3 Council leader under fire for 'culture of bullying' in wake of farmgate scandal
- 4 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 5 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 6 Councillor says MP Steve Barclay told Tories to return £10k lockdown grant
- 7 Council told in 2019 Chatteris factory would close
- 8 Pride of Whittlesey finalists revealed
- 9 300 jobs lost: Alan Bartlett & Sons to close Chatteris factory
- 10 Council plays its part to halt Covid infections in Fens hotspot
~ in Whittlesey, Town and Fenland District in Lattersey ward
Town only in Stonald ward
~ in Wisbech, Town only in Octavia Hill ward
[Additionally, there will be elections for the Mayor of Cambridgeshire & Peterborough and the police and crime commissioner but maybe, or not, they are a step too far for any beginner and they require a substantial deposit to stand.]
So, if you are interested, why not seek help NOW as it takes a while to get organised. We really can freely help you.
Generally, people are fed up with party political dogma. Politicians are not trusted. Support for political parties is on the wane. But local decisions do not need political input. Independent local people truly representing their communities is by far the best way forward.
Why not come and join us? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
CLLR MIKE CORNWELL, Fenland Independents Alliance leader