Fenland motorist took cocktail of drugs and alcohol before driving around March until tank ran dry
DANIEL Stimson downed a cocktail of drugs and alcohol before driving around March until his car’s petrol tank ran dry.
Paramedics found Stimson asleep at the wheel of a Vauxhall Vectra in Creek Fen Road - and he had no idea how he had got there, Fenland magistrates were told.
Stimson told police that he had earlier put his car in a ditch - but when the vehicle was pulled out he continued to drive around.
“He said he was waiting for a friend to bring him more fuel and fell asleep,” said prosecutor John Goodier.
“He was unsteady on his feet and kept falling asleep; no alcohol showed up on a breath test and police carried out a roadside test that showed he was uncoordinated.”
You may also want to watch:
Blood test results showed the presence of morphine, 6-monoacetylmorphine and codeine.
Stimson, 31, of Creek Road, March, admitted driving when unfit through drugs on October 31.
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 3 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 4 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 5 How defibrillator access varies across the Fens and East Cambridgeshire
- 6 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 7 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 8 ‘It’s a sad thing really’ - vandalism at village church and war memorial
- 9 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
Mr Goodier said: “Two days earlier he had taken heroin, methadone, benzos and lager.”
John Clarke, mitigating, said Stimson currently had a prescription for methadone.
“He should not have driven at all,” he said. “Two days earlier his wife had tried to commit suicide, he took heroin because he did not know what to do. He was going around like a headless chicken.
“His drug problem is now solved or under control. He had been driving until the petrol ran out, it was potentially quite dangerous.”
Magistrates imposed an interim driving ban on Stimson and adjourned sentencing until next Tuesday.